Illustrative general purpose financial statements
(Tropical Council illustrative financial statements)
Local governments are required to prepare audited annual financial statements that comply with local government legislation and Australian Accounting Standards.
To assist local governments, the department prepares a set of illustrative annual financial statements each year. These statements are commonly referred to as ‘Tropical’ and are updated each year to reflect new and amended Australian Accounting Standards and other relevant legislative requirements.
These statements are illustrative only. Local governments should make their own judgements, based on relevance and materiality, on what should and should not be included in their financial statements.
The most recent version can be found here (PDF, 0.9MB).
Included in Tropical, are copies of the certificate given by the Mayor and Chief Executive Officer of each council in relation to the general purpose financial statements (consolidated and non-consolidated), as well as the certificates in relation to the current year financial sustainability statement and long-term financial sustainability statement.
These certificates can also be downloaded here.
- City of Brisbane Act 2010
- City of Brisbane Regulation 2012
- Local Government Act 2009
- Local Government Regulation 2012
Australian Accounting Standards are available on the Australian Accounting Standards Board’s website.
Previous versions of Tropical
- Tropical 2018–19 (PDF, 0.5MB)
- Bulletin 05/18 2017/18
- Bulletin 05/17 2016/17
- Tropical for 2015-16 2015/16
- Bulletin 03/15 2014/15
- Bulletin 04/14 2013/14
- Bulletin 13/13 2012/13 (Revised)
- Bulletin 12/13 2012/13
A series of information sessions each year are held throughout Queensland, usually around March or April. A copy of the technical sessions for the 2019-20 financial year are available on request. Requests should be submitted to TropicalWorkshop@dlgrma.qld.gov.au.
The purpose of these sessions are to:
- assist councils to use the current year’s Tropical Council Illustrative Financial Statements
- provide finance officers with an understanding of changes to Australian Accounting Standard requirements
- alert officers to relevant audit issues, including those raised in the previous financial year’s audit of local government financial statements.
Enquiries or feedback can be emailed to:
Or addressed to:
Department of State Development, Infrastructure, Local Government and Planning
Governance and Capability
PO Box 15009
Brisbane QLD 4002
Last updated: Friday, Apr 9, 2021