Community grants policy
When developing the community grants policy and allocating grants under the policy, the local government and councillors must comply with the local government principles contained in section 4 of the Local Government Act 2009 and the City of Brisbane Act 2010 which are:
- transparent and effective processes, and decision making in the public interest
- sustainable development and management of assets and infrastructure, and delivery of effective services
- democratic representation, social inclusion and meaningful community engagement
- good governance of, and by, local government
- ethical and legal behaviour of councillors and local government employees.
When local governments are developing their community grants policy they should consider how or whether the policy:
- is consistent with the local government's strategic goals as set out in the corporate and operational plans
- describes the types of grants to community organisations that the local government considers to be appropriate
- details the eligibility criteria that community organisations must meet to satisfy the local government that the grant will be used for a purpose that is in the public interest
- outlines how and when community organisations can apply for grants
- outlines the process that the local government must follow when approving a grant to a community organisation
- describes how the local government will ensure that it documents how the eligibility criteria were met or not met for each grant application from a community organisation
- sets out the governance arrangements to formally monitor and report the benefits of the grants program for the community.
Once the community grants policy has been approved by the local government, the council should undertake meaningful community consultation.
The local government must also make sure the policy is available for inspection by the public at the local government office and on the website.
This toolkit can assist with developing a community grants policy.
Last updated: Friday, Apr 9, 2021